Friday, February 6, 2009

Why I'm doing this

Three years ago I joined e/Harmony after falling for those ads that promise you'll be matched with your soul mate and find everlasting true love. Three years, 5 other dating sites and more money than I care to think about here I am, still single,still hoping that maybe the next man I meet just might be the right one.

Its been a bumpy ride. The first man I met was married and it took me a long time to finally admit to myself that this was true. Several months later I met a man from his hometown(online ,of course) who confirmed my suspicion

It hasn't been a very healthy ride,either. I don't mean emotionally(although it has certainly been emotional at times),I mean literally. My rear end has often sat on the computer looking at profiles and talking to men instead of exercisng .Which makes things worse because most men are looking for a perfect figure,whether they admit it or not.

And then theres the looking thing. Men like to look. So do women for that matter. In the old days you'd meet somebody at church or school or a party. If you liked each other you decided to go on a date and when you got home from that date there weren't 5 e/mails from other people wanting to meet you on a dating site. You didn't have the option of flipping people like you were flipping channels,you had to stop and be with them awhile before you decided whether or not to pursue the relationship any further. And because you can change who you're interested in with a few clicks of a mouse you can miss some of the nicest,most wonderful people in the world and give good looking jerks a chance they don't deserve.

Because I have a less than perfect figure I've often been overlooked. Go figure. I'm smart,witty, love to have fun and have much to offer a man. The only reason this hasn't broken my heart is because I have enough confidence to know that I'm okay with or without a man and the faith to know that God had a good reason to not allow certain relationships to go any farther than friendship.

Hope springs eternal. And I still believe the fairy tale can happen to me one day when I least expect it which is why I no longer look for it with every man I encounter.

I'll write more later. Its a beautiful day and I think I'll go out in my beautiful neighborhood and walk off a few inches caused by the overdose of online dating.

But will the overdose keep me from trying and pursuing each new person I'm interested in? Absolutely not.... I still believe in love and I still enjoy having new friends even if nothing else works out...

Betsy Bug

3 comments:

  1. You're so right! Exercise and health have to come before looking or dating. Keep allowing hope to spring eternal. Just don't pay a service for that privilege!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There won't be much to tell hee anymore because I quit. Its addicitive and unhealthy,both emotionally and physically(think about all those times your rump is siting at the computer instead of at the gym...

    ReplyDelete